House Plants/ming aralia brown spots

leaf 1
leaf 1  

Leaf 2
Leaf 2  
I have had a beautiful ming for 2 years now, about 2 feet tall.  Recently its leaves started yellowing and dropping off.  I have not changed the watering, nor the location.  I noticed these brown blistery spots under the leaves, but don't see any moving bugs of any sort. Do you have any idea what is causing them, and the dying leaves?
Thank you.

I believe your Ming has a fungal infection. You can try spraying it every 3 days with Lysol Spray for a month or you can go to a garden center (or Lowes or Walmart) and look for a  fungicide. There are very few houseplant fungicides but a fungicide for roses would work. Apply it according to the instructions on the bottle. It will not be organic so you may want to set the plant in a large plastic bag to keep the overspray out of the air in your home.

When the weather has warmed enough to set your Ming outdoors it would improve it's health to put it outdoors in a sunny location and continue treating it for fungal infection periodically even if you do not see signs of fungus. By fall give it one last treatment and bring it in. Then do not treat it again unless you begin to see signs again. I have had Mings that I have had fungal problems with. If might help to also change the soil in June so the new soil does not have any fungal spores in it. Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.