House Plants/Northfork pine house plant

Question
My son has a Northfork pine tree and it was real pretty and green now the needles has turn hard like they are dying. what can he do for this plant They are a very light green now instead of dark green.

thanks

Answer
Hi Pat,

The symptoms you described are not specific enough to identify a particular cause. It is most likely a light or a watering problem.

Norfolk Island Pines should be in front of a moderately sunny window where they get a few hours of direct sunlight each day. A south-facing window may provide too much light and if it is more than a couple of feet from any other window then that will not be enough light.

Watering assumes that the tree is correctly potted so that it is moderately potbound. If so, then water thoroughly as soon as the top quarter of the soil feels dry.

If the tree was recently repotted, then that is probably the reason it is not doing well because extra soil tends to retain water for too long and cause root rot.

Finally, very warm, dry air can cause needles to turn dry and fall off. Temps below 70 degrees F. are important.

Fertilizer and changing the soil will only aggravate the problem.

I have written an article on Norfolk Island Pine care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed