House Plants/Peace lily health

My peace lily was in bloom when I bought it.  It is on the small side compared to others I have seen.   My problem:  The leaves and stems turn brown or nearly black.  I cut those off and start over. It is pretty skinny now. I add a small amount of fertilizer to each once a week watering. On the floor close to an East window.  

In the past, I have had problems with reblooming.  I never seem to get another bloom on them.  Please tell me what to do to make it more healthy. Thank you.

Hi Bev,

Dark brown leaves are nearly always a sign of keeping the soil too dry and/or inadequate light. If you have already lost more than half of the leaves, then it may be too late to save.

Peace Lilies should be located within a couple of feet of a bright, uncovered north or east window. Yours is probably too far from the nearest bright window. I so, you will have to move it closer.

You have probably noticed that Peace Lilies wilt dramatically if the soil is allowed to get a bit too dry. To avoid that, many people end up watering too often and causing root rot. It is best to water just as the Peace Lily is starting to wilt. After a while you can anticipate when that will be.

Peace Lilies also do best when kept quite potbound and repotting them almost always leads to the symptoms you have described. Hopefully, you have not repotted yours.

Peace Lilies need several things to bloom. They have to be healthy; they need to be potbound; and they need a lot of bright indirect sunlight. This is what they get in greenhouses where they are grown prior to sale. Greenhouse growers also use genetic hybrids that are bred to bloom profusely at the time of sale, which is what matters to them. Unfortunately, those hybrids are often weak flower producers thereafter. In other words, even if you do everything else correctly, you may not get a lot of flowers because of the genetic structure of your particular Peace Lily.

Fertilizer is intended for use only on healthy plants that are growing vigorously. It is not medicine so it will not help your plant ight now.

I have written an article on  Peace Lily care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College