House Plants/Peace Lily Plant

peace Lily
peace Lily  
Question! I have my Peace Lily plants for about one year and half. but now for some reason they blooming they doing great but they needed to be re potted which I did from 4in to 6in pot but ever since they stop the growth of blooming I use the the all purpose soil Black gold which is great and all my plants are doing great but my Peace Lily's I live in NY I water ones a week and keep them 5 feet from a west window because I only have a West and East windows, can y7ou tell me what I`m doing wrong. P.S thanks Hope to hear from you soon

Hi Ricardo,

There are several factors that are needed to help Peace Lilies flower. First, they must be moderately potbound. Second, they must have lots of bright indirect light. Third, they have to be genetically programmed to bloom regularly.

Your Peace Lily may not flower again until the roots have filled the larger pot that it is now in. In general, repotting discourages flowering. However, it is possible that yours was finished flowering temporarily anyway. Peace Lilies do not flower constantly as they need to take rest breaks periodically.

West window light is good, but I suggest you move your Peace Lily a bit closer to the window - about 3-4 feet way.

All Peace Lilies sold today are hybrids. That means they are bred for certain characteristics such as leaf size or leaf color or flowering cycle. Peace Lilies sell best when they have lots of flowers at the time they reach the retailer. So Peace Lily growers develop plants that flower profusely at point-of-sale. Unfortunately, this often weakens the plant's ability to flower in the future. That means yours will probably never flower as profusely as it did when you bought it. But this is a genetic issue and you have no control over it.

So be patient, as your plant fills the pot with roots, provide a bit more light and keep your fingers crossed. That's all you can do.

Good luck!

I have written an article on Peace Lily care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College