House Plants/types of spider plants

how many types of spider plants are there?  how do you start a baby with no roots? thank-you Kim

Hi Kim,

Theer are two basic types of what are commonly called spider plants. There is the green and white striped variety and the all green variety. However, there are many other hybrids that may be slightly different.

The base of a baby plantlet will develop roots if it is in constant contact with something damp. You can snip the baby off and float it in a glass of water until it develops roots about an inch long. Or you could place it on top of a small pot filled with damp potting mix. You could even set it on top of a nearby sponge that is kept damp at all times until it has developed inch-long roots. However you do it, it doesn't matter if you sever it from the runner before or after roots have formed.

In nature, the runners extend out over the damp floor of the rain forest. The babies are always in touch with the damp soil so they quickly put down roots and eventually produce babies of their own. This is how the plant makes sure it continues to survive in nature.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College