House Plants/Yucca House Plant

Question
I have a yucca type palm, did great by my pool in the summer. I am wintering it by a window in my office and I have recently found that it has some yellowing leaves at the base of the shoots.  I pulled it out of the container I have it in ( it is still in it's original plastic container) and I think it is root bound the side of he plastic is split and roots are coming out. Do I have to transplant right away or can I wait til warmer weather to do it outside.  I might have let it get too dry or it might be that it needs to be transplanted.   Thank you for your advice!

Answer
Hi Heather,

It is important to get a positive ID for your plant. Lots of plants look like Yuccas or Palms, but are neither. Indeed, Yuccas are not evenly remotely related to the Palm family. Knowing exactly what species you have is important in determining light and water requirements for any plant.

Potted plants that are outside in summer, do tend to grow rapidly and sometimes outgrow their pots. However, when brought inside for winter, the growth rate slows considerably. For that reason I do not suggest repotting until next spring when it is ready to go back outside again.

The yellowing leaves are a generic symptom that may be caused by the reduction in light, by the soil getting to dry or by the soil staying too wet. As long as the yellowing is limited to some of the lower leaves, then it is probably not a problem. Most plants that are outside in summer, languish when brought indoors in winter.

If you are still concerned, posting or emailing me a photo that shows the entire plant, including its pot, will enable me to ID your plant and also give you additional help.

I have written articles on repotting and on Yucca care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed