House Plants/Aglaonema plant

My Aglaonema plant has a white substance on it that wipes off do you know what that is and what it could be caused from?

Hi Glenda,

Your plant has a mealybug/scale infestation.

Mix a solution of 5 parts water, 1 part alcohol and a squirt of liquid soap. Then spray the ENTIRE plant so that all leaf and stem surfaces are dripping wet. Then wipe the infestation away with a soft cloth or sponge. Thoroughness of coverage is most important because if the spray does not make contact with even a few of the critters, then they will survive and reproduce and the infestation will return. Pay special attention to the crevices where the leaf stems attach the main stems.

I have written an article on treating indoor plant pests care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to

Will Creed
Horticultural Help, NYC
Cell: 917-887-8601

Visit my website at  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College