House Plants/Bugs in plant soil

I have a prayer plant that I have had for years an have noticed its started dying off. I recently seen very tiny whit bugs crawling in the soil. How can i get rid of them ?An also I have a lot of other plants can I treat them all at one time?

Hi Tashina,

Your Prayer Plant is not struggling because of the tiny bugs you are seeing in the soil. Most likely, you are keeping the soil too moist which is causing the roots to rot and those are what the tiny insects are feeding on.

You haven't provided any details on how you are caring for your plant, so it is hard for me to be specific in identifying the problem. For example, root rot often occurs when plants are unnecessarily moved into pots that are too large and/or contaminated potting soil is used.

I suggest that you remove all loose soil from the surface of the plant and then allow the top quarter of the soil below to dry in between waterings. This will stop the root rot and starve the bugs.

If you are keeping one plant too moist, then  you may also be doing the same with others. Treat them accordingly.

I have written an article on watering and insect pests that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College