House Plants/Decorating with hanging plants

Are hanging plants still the in thing to do?

I am not a decorator, I am a plant advisor. That said, I love the look of large hanging plants. In my kitchen I have a long window above the sink and above it I have a wood bar hanging from chains on each end. I hang 4 plants from it. They change from year to year. I have another long window in another part of my kitchen with a 2nd plant bar above it. That one has a plant table under it so it is a really green area. There are about 6 large plants on the table and 5 plants hanging above them. I like grouping a lot of plants together. They look dramatic that way and they humidify  each other in large groups.

In my living room and my large office I have large floor plants in groups of 4 to 6. Again, that is a very dramatic look. A single plant sitting or hanging never makes a statement. Large is god and 3-4 together is an even better statement.  Vining plants need to be in hanging baskets. If you find a vine you love then find a nice hanging pot with good drainage and a hook you can hang it on and give it a try! Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.