House Plants/dieffenbachia

My dieffenbachia's were recently froze due to low furnace heat. Do I have a chance at saving them or should I be sending my husband off to the store to buy me a few new ones. (he was the one who turned the furnace down)

Hi Becky,

Whether or not your Dieffenbachia can be saved depends on the condition of the roots and that depends on just how cold it got and how long they were exposed to the cold. The foliage and stems are directly exposed to the air so they suffer more damage than the roots, which are at least partially insulated by the pot and soil.

Trim off any damaged foliage as that will not recover. Keep the plant warm. Reduce the watering and patiently wait for a few weeks to see if any new growth emerges. I know it is frustrating, but there is nothing more you can do.

I have written articles on cold damage and on Dieffenbachia care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College