House Plants/Philodendron indoor care

Good day,

I recently bought a philodendron( have had it for 10 days)and am wondering about water schedules and lighting. I keep it indoors and water it every two days. It is not in direct sunlight and less than five feet from any direct light source( windows amd glass doors).The plant has nice big shiny dark green and dark red leaves. The stems are also the same color. I've been reading that the soil of the plant is to be keep dry and moist from various plant info sites. I also read the pot is to have drainage( mine doesn't). Do I need to change the pot?  Can you help me with the best care to keep my beautiful plant alive and healthy?

Hi Nedra,

Putting drainage material in the bottom of pots is an outdated and discredited horticultural practice. Philodendrons do best when kept moderately potbound. If they are kept in pots that too large, then there is a very good chance of root rot.

When properly potted, it is best to allow the top quarter of the soil to feel dry
to the touch before watering thoroughly until a bit of water comes through the drain hole.

Indoors, Philodendrons need lots of very bright, but mostly indirect sunlight. A location close to a window that is just beyond the reach of the sun's rays is best.

Fertilize monthly at half-strength. Keep long stems pruned back to keep the Philodendron from becoming unruly.

I have written articles on potting and on Philodendron care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College