House Plants/Removing aloe vera flower stalk and treating burnt leaves

I have an outdoor mature aloe vera plant that has a flower stalk, along with some pups that Iíve removed and repotted. While the pups have been moved indoors near a western-facing window, the mother plant remains outdoors after being transplanted to a larger pot.

I would like to know if itís necessary to remove the flower stalk since the petals are now gone. If so, what is the best way to remove the stalk? Will the plant grow another stalk down the road if this one is removed?

Another issue with the mother plant as well as the pups are the browned tips of the leaves that have been exposed to too much sun. In the process of transplanting the aloe, I cut off the burnt tips that were shriveled. However, I would like to know if misting the leaves would help alleviate this problem.

I appreciate any advice you may have concerning this matter.

To begin with you need to move that mother plant to a shady location then slowly move it out to a sunnier location to avoid sunburning them in the first place. If moving it is not possible cover it with a white sheet to shade it in the heat of the day. Misting will not heal the brown spots. They will not go away. The leaf tips may shrivel and can then be cut off. As the plants grow larger the damaged leaves may be able to be removed without spoiling the appearance of the plants too badly.

You have to be very careful with all succulent plants and cacti as they need to be acclimated to the sun gradually so they do not sunburn.

The flower stalk should be clipped off at it's base with sharp scissors. It will regrow a new stalk when it is ready to bloom again. It never reblooms on an old stalk. Aloe plants need to be rootbound to bloom so do not repot it into a larger pot or it will not bloom again. If you have more questions feel free to write again. Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.