House Plants/spider plant

I have a spider plant that is growing very well, it produces whites flowers that later dies and don't produce any plantlets, what is the reason for this I give bright light and water it every other week like I said it is very healthy and growing bigger in size so what can be the problem?

Hi Tawana,
  There are a couple of reasons why the plant is not producing plantlets.
It may not be mature enough yet. When Spider plants are grown from plantlets it can often take them a couple of years to become mature enough to produce plantlets.

Another reason could be fertilizer. Spider plants store up energy and nutrients to produce plantlets and it may not be getting enough of one of them. If it is getting enough light then you will need to fertilize it about every 2 weeks during the growing cycle. Any well balanced fertilizer is OK. I recommend using 1/3 of the amount called for in the directions on the package. Liquid fertilizers are best. Dilute 1 part liquid fertilizer to 2 parts distilled water. Be sure to never fertilize a plant when the soil is dry. This could cause the plant to take up too much fertilizer at once.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions or need additional information please don't hesitate to ask.

House Plants

I am knowledgeable and experienced (professionally) in the care of many different kinds of houseplants as well as the pests and diseases common to houseplants. I have had a lot of experience and success with most propagation techniques. I am also knowledgeable and experienced with artificial lighting for plants. I can answer questions about all aspects of 'indoor gardening'. Not only questions about growing foliage plants and starting seeds under artificial plant lighting but also questions about artificial plant light system set up, supplemental artificial lighting and cost. ~ I can help identify plants accurately ONLY if you submit a picture of the plant with your question.~

I usually always have at least 70 houseplants at all times. I have done extensive research, education and have over 20 years of experience with houseplants, indoor gardening, interior landscaping and artificial plant lighting. About 30% of my houseplants are grown exclusively under artificial plant lighting. Many of the other houseplants that are growing in natural light are also given supplemental lighting using artificial plant light. I have 5 complete artificial plant light systems that I designed and built.

I have written extensively about plants, all aspects of houseplant care, indoor gardening and artificial plant lighting. I have written many informational blogs, articles and 'plant care guides' for many websites, forums and some online horticultural communities.

I have knowledge and experience on the care of houseplants, the different kinds of houseplants, pests and diseases common to houseplants, indoor gardening/landscaping and artificial plant lighting.