House Plants/white fuzzy things

i have ponytail palm with white fuzzy things on the leaves, if i cut the stalk will the bugs still be in the soil?
thank you

Why do you want to cut the stalk off? The bugs are mealy bugs. Yes the bugs could still be in the soil. You can take the plant outdoors and wash the plant with a hose set on a high pressure stream of water to wash the insects off. Then water the plant with a mix of 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% water. Use this mix each time you water the plant for a month and it will kill any insects in the soil.

Your other option would be to go to Walmart or Lowes and get a product called Bayer Protect and Feed Tree and Shrub Insecticide. You mix it with water and the plant takes it up through the leaves and it kills the insects as they chew on the plant. It is a systemic insecticide.It is very effective and keeps insects off the plant for about a year. It costs about $20.00. It will protect a lot of plants. Follow the instructions for potted plants.

If you have more questions feel free to write again. Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.