House Plants/whitish leaves

My beautiful fiddle leaf tree (I bought it last summer)everyday is loosing a(bottom)leaf/leaves that are extensively covered with white(?) blemishes and brown spots, and tips are dry brown. Please help. I keep it away from the heater, spray it with the water everyday, watering every week. Wish I could add a picture. What is wrong with my precious plant? My heater is broken and I can't turn it off so currently I have 80F temperature in my apt (for three months waiting for my association to do something with that.

Thank you

Hi Monica,

The symptoms you described are generic and can be caused by improper light or watering or over potting.

You didn't mention where your Ficus lyrata is located relative to the nearest uncovered window, so I don't know if that is the cause. In any case, it should be close to and right in front of a north or east window that is completely uncovered throughout the day. Without proper light, nothing else you do will matter.

If you repotted your plant, the chances are good that you are inadvertently over watering and the roots are rotting. If you did not repot and the tree is still in its nursery pot, then you should water it as soon as the surface is dry. Once per week may not be enough, particularly in temps that are constantly around 80 degrees.

I have written articles on Ficus lyrata care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College