House Plants/curling leaves on Hawumberella plant

HI .

I have had an Umbrella plant now for over 6 years. It is very large and until a few months ago I kept it in my sun room.  Its far too large that there . So I moved it and then re-potted  it in Feb. Its roots were really wound around the plant.  Now I have it all re-potted and its located inside the door. Unfortunately the plant has decided to grow at a very fast pace but the stems and leaves are wild. The spokes as I call them are more like apple size and larger. The leaves hang straight down but then curl ! All the new leaves are curling.  It loves its new pot and such and is growing but the leaves are all curling and the stems are far too long with spoke looking part the leaves attach to are very big and the leaves are coming in curling.  What can I do about this ?

Hi Joni,

More important than pot size is the light available to a plant. You didn't indicate specifics, but it seems that you moved the plant from high light to reduced light. The light that is available to new leaves when they emerge is what determines how they grow. In reduced light, stems are usually longer relative to the leaves and the leaves may curl. I suggest you increase the light if you can. If not, the plant will remain healthy, but new growth will look different.

If you can post a photo of your plant here or email it to me at my address below, I can better confirm what I think what the problem is.

I have written articles on Schefflera care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College