House Plants/fuchsia hybrids

Question
this is my second plant ever having i just got a fuchsia hybrid for mothers days and my 7 month old got ahold of a piece and had it in his mouth only a couple seconds do i need to be worried that this plant is toxic to humans? and i also have it hanging on my front porch i water it on a regular basis and i don't let it get to much sun light nothing seems to be wrong yet but i just got it and i want to keep it alive and advise?

Answer
Hi Diamond,

No one has ever done a comprehensive study of the toxicity of all plant species. However, there are no reports of poisoning from Fuchsia so it is unlikely that they are poisonous. In addition, your child's exposure was very limited. If your child is not showing any adverse reactions, then it is probably safe to assume there was no poisoning. But to be sure, you should check with a pediatrician as I am not a medical professional.

Fuchsias do well outside in the summer months when temps are above 50 degrees F. They do like protection from too much outdoor direct sunlight so your porch location is good. They flower best when  kept potbound, so don't repot it. Check the soil regularly and water thoroughly when the top half-inch of soil is dry or before the plant starts to wilt noticeably. Don't put it on a rigid watering schedule as its water needs will vary with the weather. For example, during a mid-summer hot spell, it may need watering daily, but in cool, damp periods weekly watering may be sufficient.

So as long as you monitor your Fuchsia's watering carefully, it should thrive with a minimum of effort on your part.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed