House Plants/my jasmin plant

I bought a jasmin plant from the florist and watered it once a week just like the florist said but still my jasmin plant is dying... there were so many buds but they are becoming purple and the leaves are dry and falling off... I dont know what to do.

Hi Susmita,

Jasmine are not easy plants to care for unless you are fairly experienced with indoor potted plants.

Do NOT repot your Jasmine because that will disrupt the flowering cycle and probably cause root rot. Locate your Jasmine right on an east or north facing windowsill where the window is completely uncovered throughout the day. When properly potted, allow the top half inch of soil to dry before watering thoroughly. Keep temps below 80 degrees F.

Repotting, inadequate light, high temperatures, and improper watering will all cause the symptoms you described. You will have to determine which apply to your Jasmine.

I have written articles on Jasmine care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College