House Plants/Keepsake Azalea Braided Tree

Good Afternoon,
This year, I received a braided azalea tree for Mother's Day.  While I was removing the price tag from the tree, I also removed a piece of plastic that was attached to the branches right under the leaves and flowers.  It is now obvious to me that I should have left this plastic piece on because it appears that the tree trunk is seperating;unbraiding itself.  What can I do to get the branches to braid again? Can I buy something to put on the branches to encourage the branches to braid again?  Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thank You

Hi Theresa,

Azalea braids are not intended to have the braid continue beyond what you already have. There is no practical way for you to continue braiding, even if you wanted to. The braided stems fuse together as they age and usually there is no reason to keep the plastic ties in place. The upper portions may spread a bit, but they will not become un-braided.

It is best not to let the upper stems grow out very much. The shape it has at purchase is by design and it is best to prune back any new growth that starts to poke outside the original canopy. Pruning does no harm, but will keep the plant shapely and compact.

I have written articles on pruning and on Azalea care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College