House Plants/north fork pine

Question
I transplanted my indoor pine and split them the are now yellow with the two new limbs green .can i save my plant or did i kill him .l hope i didn't kill him because i have had him for almost three years.i hope you have an answer for me.

Answer
Hi Angela,

Norfolk Island Pines do not like to have their roots disturbed. Even repotting them, which they rarely need, can stress the plant unnecessarily. Dividing the plants and the roots is even more traumatic. It can be done if you know what you are doing, but even then it is not recommended.

You haven't provided any information on just how you did the division so I cannot predict its chances of survival. I can only tell you how you should have done it. You cut down through the rootball with a sharp knife, leaving as much of the original rootball (soil and roots) intact. You never wash away the original soil. Then, each division should be moved to the smallest pots that they will fit into. Any space around the sides should be filled with a potting mix that matches the original potting mix in consistency. Then, the divisions should be moved to a moderately bright location and watered very carefully so the potting mix remains barely damp, but not wet.

Unfortunately, NIP root division is very risky and there are no simple solutions for success. I wish you luck.

I have written articles on repotting and on Norfolk Island Pine care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed