House Plants/Plant id and care please

plant id
plant id  

plant id
plant id  
Hi Will, can you please id these two plants for me. I think they may be Jades. What can I do to help them ? Thanks in advance.

Hi Vicky,

Yes, your plants are Jade Plants (Crassula ovata). They appear to be generally healthy, but in need of substantial pruning.

First and foremost, resist any temptation to repot them. They are just fine as-is and probably will never need to be repotted. Keep them on or close to a sunny windowsill. In direct sunlight, the leaves develop a reddish tinge on their edges, which is fine. Jades tolerate cold temps down to freezing. Allow the soil to dry about one-third into the pot before watering thoroughly until some water trickles through the drain holes. It is best to err on the side of dryness with Jade Plants. Low humidity is fine so no need to worry about that. Fertilize it at half-strength monthly, but only when the plants are healthy and putting out new growth.

As long as your Jades get enough light and you don't repot or over-water, they will be easy for you to care for and will do well.

Pruning is what keeps Jades (and most other plants) looking good, although it does not affect their health. You will observe the new growth on Jades is almost always at the tip ends of stems. That means the stems grow ever taller and longer and eventually gravity starts to pull them downward. There is nothing wrong with that, but if you prefer a more upright plant, then the solution is to shorten the stems by pruning. For example, if you were to prune a very long stem back to within 3 inches of the pot, then new growth will emerge on that stem just below the pruning cut and grow upward from there. Pruning eliminates long, leggy stems and promotes new growth in the center of the plant and closer to the pot. Pruning only alters the appearance of the plant so you cannot really do it wrong. The worst that can happen is that you cut off too much, but even so it is just a matter of time before it grows back in. So, don't hesitate to prune vigorously.

I have written articles on repotting, pruning and on Jade Plant care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College