House Plants/Question about cacti

Question
Hello Will
I would thank you for this website and all help that you gave to us , my question is about cacti like mammillaria and others
I have variety of cactus and they have flowers when I purchased them from nursery
I have them more than a year. Until now no flowers appears
and I don't know how to stimulate them to bloom again
they all grow nicely and I have no problem with them except blooming
I put them on windowsill (east facing) and I water them once a month in winter and once every ten days in summer .What can I do?
thank you very much

Answer
Hi Sara,

Thank you for your kind words. It is my pleasure to help folks like you with your indoor plant issues.

The key to getting most Cacti to flower is the rest period that usually occurs for several months in the late fall and early winter. During this semi-dormant period, Cacti need almost no water, no fertilizer, lots of sunlight and temperatures between 35 and 50 degrees F. These are the conditions that Cacti are adapted to in their native habitats. Unfortunately, it is very hard to duplicate those conditions indoors, especially the 2-3 month period of cool temperatures.

If possible, move your Cacti outside in the fall so that they can experience the cool temps that they require. Leave them outside as long as temps are above freezing, but be sure not to expose them to frost. The longer the period of cool temps in the fall, the more flowers you will get the following spring and summer. However, sometimes even a short period of cool temps will be enough to produce some flowers.

In any case, reduce watering during this rest period. Sometimes misting the Cactus is sufficient. Do watch for signs of any shriveling that may indicate that your Cactus has gotten too dry and the soil should be watered. Lots of direct sunlight is a requirement all year long, so keep yours on the sunniest windowsill you have.

Finally, repotting or disturbing the roots in any way is likely to discourage flowering. Cacti almost never need repotting, anyway.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed