House Plants/Systemic?

Question
I was just reading the answer to scale on Spider Plants and you had some great suggestions.  Years ago I used a systemic that went into the soil and treated the pests from the roots.  Is this still a good alternative? I have them on two large spiders with lots of babies.
Trying to salvage what I can.  Thanks

Answer
Hi Barbara,

I have posted thousands of answers here so I am not sure just what you read. A spray solution of 5 parts water, 1 part rubbing alcohol and a squirt of liquid soap applied very liberally on all leaf and stem surfaces is the preferred first option. The second option would be to use Brand X foliage cleaner available at www.BuyBrandX.com, also applied liberally.

Systemics are pesticides that are potentially hazardous to use and to the environment. They are applied to the soil where the roots absorb the toxins and spread them throughout the vascular system of the plant. When sucking insects such as scale, mealybugs, spider mites and aphids suck the sap from plants treated with systemic pesticides, these pests poison themselves. Systemics are not recommended for use where pets or toddlers may unwittingly chew on plant leaves. The best systemic pesticide for treating scale insects and mealybug is imidacloprid, sold under the brand name Merit. It can also be applied as a foliar spray. It is not available in all states and it is expensive.

I have written articles on treating plant pests that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed