House Plants/tropic snow plant

I have a tropic snow whose buttom leaves are turning yellow.  In a months 5 to 6 leaves have turned yellow. Is that normal or is it a sign that it is lacking nutrients?

Hi Kate,

Of course, it depends to a certain extent on the size of your Dieffenbachia, but 5 to 6 yellowed leaves in a month is probably indicative of a problem. Lack of nutrients is not the cause of the problem, however. It could be a light problem, but is most likely a watering issue.

Dieffenbachias do best in very bright indirect light - in front of a north window or within a couple of feet of an uncovered east window. If your plant is more than 4 or 5 feet away from a sunny window, then it is shedding older leaves because in reduced light it cannot support as many leaves.

Assuming light is not a problem, then watering incorrectly probably is. To water properly, Dieffenbachias must be kept quite potbound. If you repotted in the last 6 months, then that is causing the excess soil added to stay moist for too long. When soil stays moist for too long either because the pot is too large or because you water too frequently, roots begin to root and leaves start to yellow. There is no cure for root rot so it is important to avoid it by keeping your plant tightly potted and watering only when the top quarter of the soil feels dry.

To sum up, good light, proper pot size and allowing the soil to dry sufficiently are all essential to good Dieffenbachia health. If any one of them is not right, then the plant will respond by developing yellow leaves.

I have written articles on repotting and on Dieffenbachia care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College