House Plants/Zygo Cactus

Can I plant Zygo Cactus outdoors? If not can i repot it and when can i repot it?

Thank You,

Hi Rhonda,

Zycocactus, now known as Schlumbergera and commonly called Christmas Cactus, is a tropical plant that cannot withstand freezing temperatures. So in your location, you would be advised to bring it indoors at the first warning of frost. Exposing it to cool temperatures in the fall will help promote flowers, but never push it below freezing.

There is no connection between repotting and keeping it outdoors. Most tropical plants are non-seasonal. Your plant has a fine root system that must be kept in a small pot. It is extremely rare for a Schlumbergera to need repotting. Repotting almost always disrupts the flowering cycle and results in at least one year of no flowers.

So move your plant outside now and keep it in its existing pot. Make sure it is in shade and bring it back inside in late fall when frost is a possibility.

I have written articles on repotting and on Christmas Cactus care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College