House Plants/coral cactus

Question
I was given a coral cactus about a year ago i repotted it like you instructed. It was doing great until i left it for a week. When i got back the  base was soft and mushy & falling over. I dont know what to do now. Can i save it or is it a gonner??? Please help.

Answer
Laurie,
Coral Cactus and other succulents usually die from too frequent watering (or letting stay dry too long)...
Soft and mushy sounds like being too wet for too long...Sounds like it may be a gonner...Did you water it too heavy before going away for a week...You want to make sure they go dry between waterings...They do rot out easily if kept too wet...You can only wait and see what happens to yours...
Water your plant based on how much it weighs when thoroughly watered VS when they are ready to be watered again...Most plants die from too frequent waterings...Pick the pot up and feel how heavy it is after watering it thoroughly...Don't water it again until it feels considerably lighter and the soil top of the soil is light in color...
Direct sunlight (especially morning sun) is good for most plants...Cacti love light...

Hope this helps...
Rick in southern NJ

House Plants

Richard Hern