House Plants/elephant foot plant

Question
I have an elephant foot that is approx. 2 ft. high and 24" in circumference of the base. It has a growth coming off the base by about an 2" from the bottom. Looks very healthy. Can I remove this growth to make a second plant without harming the mother plant and how would I do it?

Answer
Hi Vicki,

Sometimes older Ponytail Palms will spontaneously produce offsets or baby plants attached to the large bulb. After these offsets are about two inches in height, they can be severed and rooted in a small pot filled with damp potting mix.

This is a somewhat risky and slow process, so you may be better off just leaving the offsets attached to the main plant and let them grow from there. That said, it is unlikely to harm the mother plant. Use a sharp knife to slice off a small amount of mother plant tissue just under the offset. Let the cutting air dry for a few hours before setting it into a small pot.

I have written articles on Ponytail Palm care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed