House Plants/Ficus tree

I set my ficus tree out side in the summer, I just move and set it outside and it seems that ants have make a home in it. What can I use to get rid of them

Hi Sarah,

As long as you keep your tree outside, ants will always find a home there. That is one reason I don't generally recommend moving houseplants outside in the summer. Such moves force plants to adapt to significant environmental changes (especially light) twice per year.

Just before you are ready to move the tree back inside, do the following: Set the pot in a large tub filled with plain water for a couple of hours. The goal is to completely saturate all of the soil so that there are no air pockets left in the soil. This will force the ants to abandon the soil in search of oxygen. You may have to repeat this treatment again in a few days.

I have written articles on plant pests and on Ficus care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College