House Plants/Monstera Pruning

I hope you can assist.  I have this Monstera (named Arthur) for more than 40 years.  Arthur is now pot bound in the largest pot I can buy and keep indoors.  (3ft dia.)  Also, Arthur has a center stem that is roughly 4 feet tall where long stemed leaves have been sprouting all these years.  Now the leaves sprouting from the top of the stem do not seem to grow to maturity (too far to pump water and nutrients?).

Can I cut the Stem?  If so how much, to the soil or less?
Can I trim the roots and repot in the same pot?

Arthur has lives all over the US and is a member of the family, as are three of his offspring.  Please see if you can help as he is getting a bit leggy.

Hi Sandy,

Monstera deliciosa and Philodendron selloum are often confused because they both have similar leaves. Monsteras have long, vining stems with leaves all along the stems. Selloums have single very thick, upright stems with foliage growing from the top. From your description, I suspect yours is a Selloum and I will answer your question accordingly. I do encourage you to search for photos of both these plants so you can be sure I have identified it correctly. If I have not, then please post a photo of yours here or email it to my address posted below.

If new leaves of a Selloum are coming in small, that is because it is not getting as much light as it once did when it was grown in a greenhouse. This does not mean the plant is unhealthy or deprived of water or nutrients. It simply means the plant is adapting to the reduced light by producing smaller leaves. It often takes several years for all of the original leaves to be replaced with smaller leaves.

If the new leaves are distorted and dying before they mature, then there is a root and watering problem - usually not allowing the soil to dry properly between waterings. I don't know how tightly potted your plant is so it is hard for me to give precise watering instructions. However, if it properly potted, then you should water only when the top quarter of the soil dries out.

Selloums can be pruned back to any height but at least 8 inches above the soil. However, that will not solve the problems of inadequate light or improper watering. Pruning back the stem will shorten the stem, but will not improve the size or condition of new leaf growth. Until you have identified the cause of the problem, root pruning would not be appropriate.

I have written articles on pruning, repotting and on Philodendron care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College