House Plants/repotting philadendron

Question
Can I trim the rootball of a philadendron? Have 2 plants that I've had for many years.  Already in very large pots but rootbound and I want to repot.  How do I trim the rootball?

Answer
Debbie,

Carefully remove the plant from the pot then take a very sharp knife and cut off 2-3 inches from the bottom and sides (all the way around) of the rootball. Make sure you are not cutting off any plants, only the roots. Then you can wash the pot and put it back in the same pot or even put it back in a slightly smaller pot. Or you can cut the plant rootball in half down the middle and also around the outside and split it into 2 pots then give one plant to a friend. Good luck!

Darlene

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle