House Plants/too tall palm-like tree

Question
too tall tree
too tall tree  
This "tree" with 4 stems arrived as a seedling in a dish garden 13 years ago.  It lives on our back porch (some sun, mostly shade) in the summer and in the basement in the winter.  It seems quite healthy.  The tallest stem is too tall for the basement ceiling, and the other two tall stems will be soon.

Questions:
1. What is this plant?
2. Can the tall stems be cut back without killing it?

Answer
Hi Marian,

Your plant is a Dracaena marginata, so named because of the reddish margin on its leaves.

The stems definitely can and should be pruned back to a more desirable height. As long as the roots remain healthy, pruning will do no harm. New foliage growth will emerge on the pruned stems just below the pruning cut. So you decide where you want to see new growth come in and prune back to that point.

I have written articles on pruning and on Dracaena marginata care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed