House Plants/Top Heavy Aloe Vera

I read your response about placing in deeper pot to hold it up. I have done that and it has grown and is falling over again and won't stand up straight and the stem is very small with pups coming up all around. I don't want to lose the plant. So do I just keep putting it in ever deeper taller pots?  Thank you.

Hi Ann,

I have posted many replies to questions about Aloe veras and you didn't post a photo of your Aloe, so it is hard for me to give you a specific answer.

In most cases, Aloe veras become top-heavy if they are not getting lots of direct sunlight, which they prefer. They can certainly stay alive in reduced light, but the stems do tend to become slender like yours. In nature, this is a spreading plant and is not really designed to grow upright like many other plants.

The best you can do for an indoor Aloe is to keep it very tightly potted so that the baby plants (offsets) can grow alongside the main plant and help support it. Provide as much direct sunlight a possible. Finally, allow long stems to drape over the side of the pot or simply cut the stem and after allowing it to dry overnight, replant the upper portion of the stem cutting down in the existing pot if there is room or in its own separate small pot.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions. You can also post a photo for more specific advice.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College