House Plants/Aloe Vera and pups

Hi Darlene,

I have several aloe vera plants. One of my larger indoor plants has some small pups growing on the plant's underside. I understand that pups can drain nourishment from the mother plant. Since these pups are small at this stage, at what point should they be removed? Do I have to repot the mother plant along with them in order to separate and remove them?

These pups grow off of the roots of the plant. If you do not want to use them to start additional plants you can use an old butter knife and gently ease them out of the soil breaking the connection to the mother plant and discard the pup. If you want to repot the pup and grow it to adulthood wait until it is 2 to 4 inches tall. I have had aloe plants with 20 pups and it did not harm the mother plant. By the time they start growing pups they are at or close to full grown size and as long as they get enough water in the pot for the mother and the pups nothing will shrivel. To remove them to repot them do the same thing, gently remove them with a butter knife preserving as much roots on the baby as possible and pot the baby in a 2 inch pot to start with then gradually move it up as it grows larger. You can have plants to give as gifts to your friends with just a little work. Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.