House Plants/bird of paradise

Question
I have a 30 year old bird of paradise house plant, I've re-potted several times over the years. It's current pot is about 10" across by 10" deep. It's about 42" tall with about 24 leaves between the seven stalks coming out of the pot. It grows new leaves and some die off and occasionaly my rabbit nibbles on a few (I've only had him a year, so he's not really the problem) It has never bloomed. We live in Ohio so I take it outside in the summer and bring it in, in the fall where it lives in my sun room on the east side of the house.  What am I doing wrong. I just can't bring myself to throw it away. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Rebecca

Answer
Hi Rebecca,

Strelitzia requires cool winter temps in the 50-55 degree F. range to set buds and that is hard to maintain in the typical home. That is why they rarely flower when  used as indoor plants. Of course, they cannot be kept outdoors in winter except in areas that are frost-free.

Keep yours in the coolest indoor place you have and provide less water as the hours of daylight decrease in the fall and winter. Keeping it potbound is also essential for flowering.

You may decide to just keep your Strelitzia as a nice foliage plant. If so, don't worry about temperature and keep it in a sunny location year round and water as soon as the top quarter of the soil feels dry.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed