House Plants/broken cactus

Today I was moving a potted cactus plant about 5'-6' tall. During the move it snaped in half. It wasnt a clean cut, and it has a few dings and cuts from the fall. The bottom half is still in the pot and seems fine. But now I have a 4' chunk of cacti and I'm devestated about it. How can I save the 4' section, and how can I keep the planted part alive and healthy? Any help would be mucho appeciated. I do not know the type of cactus it is. But it has been in our family for over 100 years. So you can imagine my sadness over this.
Alos wondering if it can be put back together and if it will graft itself back together?

You need to send me a picture for me to identify it and tell you if it is possible to graft it back together. I am sure you can same both halves. Email that picture here or to  

The bottom half will sent out side shoots and continue growing. It may produce several side shoots and you can detach eventually them and grow them on there own or allow them to keep growing on the original base.

The piece that has broken off you need to allow to dry for about a week to form a dry callous then insert the base in a fresh pot of sandy soil and set it next to the original plant. Only give it a quarter cup of water every 2 weeks until you see signs of new growth. Then you can water it as you always have.

If you want to try to put it back together I need that picture immediately and I will consult a friend who is a cacti expert about the possibility of success. Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.