House Plants/corn plant

Question
I just bought a corn plant and thought it could be used outdoors.  The leaves are now losing its color and is turning light green-yellow and wilting
Can I leave it outdoors and hope it adjusts or is this strictly an indoor plant.  If I bring it indoors will it revitalize itself
Thank
Pat

Answer
Hi Patricia,

In nature, Corn Plants grow in deep shade under the canopy of the rainforest. That means it does well in shade outdoors and in the relatively low light indoors. You can keep it outdoors, but it must be in shade at all times and protected from direct sunlight falling on its leaves. This plant tends to be a bit top-heavy and easily topples over in strong breezes and that is another reason why it is generally kept indoors year round.

Any scorching already caused by too much sun will not recover. Damaged leaves should be trimmed off. New leaves that emerge in shade or low light will have a healthy color.

Keep your Corn Plant in its existing pot. Indoors it does well close to a north or east window. Water it only when the top quarter of the soil feels dry. It does well in low humidity.

I have written detailed articles on moving plants outdoors and on Corn Plant care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed