House Plants/Ficus Tree Health

Question
Ficus
Ficus  

Ficus
Ficus  
Hi Will,

I've read through all of your answers regarding Ficus questions.  Very informative!

My tree really does not look good - it has stayed the same size for many years and has a lot of dead spindly branches. Underneath the leaves, right where they attach to the branches, is a white sticky ball that can be squeezed - almost like Crisco shortening.  From reading through your posts, I am thinking that the plant probably has scale.  

It was also repotted into what I now know, is a too large pot, but that was years ago and I think at this point, I should just leave it in there unless you say otherwise.

I just put it outside on the deck where it will be 75 degrees and raining all week.  I thought that the rain would wash the plant and saturate the soil.  I gave it my favorite organic food and sprayed it with a homemade mixture of garlic, onion, pepper and soap. I have not cut it back but it sounds like I should.  

Other than bringing it back in, is there anything else I could do to make it grow into a healthier plant?  Should I buy that Brand X product to help kill the scale?

Thanks,
Karen

Answer
Hi Karen,

Your tree looks healthy, although it is a bit sparse. The more sunlight a Ficus tree receives, the more leaves it can support. Indoor light is much less intense than outdoor light so trees kept inside are naturally more sparse, but no less healthy. When you have yours indoors, keep it as close as possible to your sunniest window. Pruning will encourage new foliage growth in the center of the tree and help it fill out.

The small white globules at the base of the Ficus leaves are sap and not scale. They are not a problem and do not need to be treated or removed.

The pot is too large. That means you have to be very careful to allow the the soil to dry out more than usual if you want to avoid root rot. Remove all soil that you added on top of the original rootball when you repotted two years ago. This soil will be loose and not in direct contact with the roots. Removing it will help the soil dry sooner. It will also allow you to determine when the top inch of rootball is dry and in need of water.

So improved light and proper watering is all you need to be concerned about.

I have written an article on Ficus care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed