House Plants/lithops

Question
Hi! I was wondering on how I would generally care for lithops? They look like succulents and a kind of dry soil plant so I have not watered it yet.

Answer
Hi Victor,

Lithops are commonly called Living Stones. You are correct that they are succulents and that means they are very low maintenance except for doing best with lots of direct sunlight.

Keep them on your sunniest windowsill. They grow very slowly and use very little water and never need repotting. In the warmer months, they can be watered every two weeks but only on days when the sun is shining. Be careful to avoid leaving water droplets on the leaves because the sun may scorch them through the droplets. In winter, Lithops prefer cooler temps as low as 40 degrees F. When temps are below 50 degrees, Lithops should not be watered at all. However, it is unlikely that you can provide such cool temps indoors so continue to water normally as long as normal room temps are maintained.

This is a slow-growing plant that can flower in the right conditions - lots of sun and cool winter temps. Lithops thrive on neglect and suffer only when repotted unnecessarily and over watered.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed