House Plants/Money Tree

Money Tree heal plz
Money Tree heal plz  
Hi Tracy,
I have a money tree with a few trunks that are dry. I just noticed as I watered it today and realized some leaves, not all have bits of brown on the edges and tips of leaves. I also discovered a spidermite and some very small tiny insects that came flying around as I brought the plant to the sink for watering. They came flying out as the water hit the dirt. That's when I noticed the tree trunks that were completely dry. I pulled a piece of lingering branch that was completely dead and brought a big piece of the bark all the way to the end of the branch. It seemed like dust particles came out as the bark fell off, like it was desintegrating.

The tree has plenty of green leaves and new ones growing too. These come from the other intertwined branches that are still alive. What can I do to heal my tree? What can I do about these pesky spider mites? They are in my out door patio too and are webbing through all my flowers and jazmine and lavender plants.

Just to clarify the money tree is indoors. Sometimes I would take it outside to water it fully. However today I brought it to the kitchen sink and noticed this was going on.

Thank you for your advice in advance.

Hi Carla
  Sorry it has taken me so long to answer you.
It seems that you have several problems with this plant. Spider Mites, Fungus gnats and over watering.
The best way to get rid of spider mites is to put distilled water, a few drops of dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle and thoroughly spray the plants (Be sure to get the undersides of the leaves). Repeat this about every 3-5 days until all evidence of mites is gone.

Fungus Gnats are a bit different and are a sign of overwatering (The problem with the trunk and the brown spots on the leaves also indicate overwatering). First, practice good watering habits. As a general rule, allow the top 1-2 inches of soil to dry between watering then water just enough for a small amount of water to drain out of the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot.

Fungus Gnats are little flying insects often seen flying around plants. They usually stay near the surface of the soil or under the leaves of plants unless disturbed. The larvae are tiny and worm like and live in the soil. Fungus Gnats are more an annoyance than a threat to the health of the plants infested with them. Fungus Gnats are hard to get rid of. The key to controlling Fungus Gnats is to kill the larvae since adult Fungus Gnats have a short life span (2-3 days).
A good non toxic way to control the larvae is to place a slice of raw potato into the soil. The larvae will be attracted to the potato slice and will crawl inside of it. Simply throw the potato slice away and replace it with a fresh slice every day until there is no more sign of Fungus Gnat presence. A good way to get rid of the adult Fungus Gnats is to place a bowl or cup of water with a few drops of dishwashing liquid mixed into it next to your plants. The adults will be attracted to it. Change the soapy water everyday.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions or need additional information please don't hesitate to ask.

House Plants

I am knowledgeable and experienced (professionally) in the care of many different kinds of houseplants as well as the pests and diseases common to houseplants. I have had a lot of experience and success with most propagation techniques. I am also knowledgeable and experienced with artificial lighting for plants. I can answer questions about all aspects of 'indoor gardening'. Not only questions about growing foliage plants and starting seeds under artificial plant lighting but also questions about artificial plant light system set up, supplemental artificial lighting and cost. ~ I can help identify plants accurately ONLY if you submit a picture of the plant with your question.~

I usually always have at least 70 houseplants at all times. I have done extensive research, education and have over 20 years of experience with houseplants, indoor gardening, interior landscaping and artificial plant lighting. About 30% of my houseplants are grown exclusively under artificial plant lighting. Many of the other houseplants that are growing in natural light are also given supplemental lighting using artificial plant light. I have 5 complete artificial plant light systems that I designed and built.

I have written extensively about plants, all aspects of houseplant care, indoor gardening and artificial plant lighting. I have written many informational blogs, articles and 'plant care guides' for many websites, forums and some online horticultural communities.

I have knowledge and experience on the care of houseplants, the different kinds of houseplants, pests and diseases common to houseplants, indoor gardening/landscaping and artificial plant lighting.