House Plants/Peace Lilly

I have 2 peace lillies.  One I had for 6 years just died.  It had a lot of water in the bottom of the bottom, which has a bottom that doesn't come off and has no drainage holes.  I had in in direct light for about two years, and used to put outside in the summer until I saw the flowers dropping badly and brought it inside and it recovered.  Never put in back outside again.  Recently it had brown, yellow, etc. leaves, dropped incredibly and the roots could be seen.  I think I may have over-watered it, plus it was getting too much sun.  It just stayed so dry, I thought it needed watering at least three times a week.  I never waited for the leaves to droop.  Finally what was left of the green leaves died.  repotted it, and now waiting to see if the roots will take hole again.  Meanwhile, the second Peace Lilly is very big, and is starting to get some brown on some leaves.  it is not in direct light, and is so big that it is hard to get to.  I don't want this one to die too. Both were memorial for relatives' deaths.  Do you think the other one will ever come back?  The 2nd Lilly I've had only 7 months.  It still looks good even with the brown leaves.  It has only had maybe one or two flowers.  The other one used to have flowers all the time.  My house is dark and dry.  I leave the light on in the dining room which is a chandelier, which isn't very bright.  I don't have a humidifier.  Should I get one.  I have other plans in the room which are having some brown leaves, but not many.  I have vines which are doing good and a tree, etc.  Any help you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Hi Beverly,

Your original Peace Lily is suffering from severe root rot caused by letting it sit in water. Once the roots rot, it is unlikely to recover. At best, recovery will be very slow and it will never attain its original size.

Peace Lilies do not do well outside. Any direct sunlight will burn the leaves. In addition, wind and hard rain will damage the fragile leaves. They are also vulnerable to night time temps that drop below 60 degrees F.

Keep your Peace Lily indoors, but it will have to be within a few feet of an uncovered window. The artificial light from your chandelier is of no value to your plants so save the electricity. Low humidity is not a problem, so there is no need for a humidifier.

Peace Lilies do best when kept potbound. Indeed, they should never be repotted to a larger pot. Repotting discourages flowering and often leads to root rot. The pot must have drain holes so excess water can escape. Allow the soil to dry just enough for the leaves to start to wilt just a bit. Then, add enough water until a small amount trickles through the drain holes. If you follow these water instructions, you will avoid root rot and other water-related problems.

All Peace Lilies are hybrids and some hybrids bloom more readily and more frequently than others. It is genetic and there is not much you can do. However, bright indirect sunlight, a tight pot and monthly fertilizer at half strength will all help any Peace Lily reach its maximum flowering potential.

I have written a detailed article on Peace Lily care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College