House Plants/Peace Lily

QUESTION: When I purchased my Peace Lily it had white flowers on it.  Now as new blooms emerge they are green and stay green until they droop and I cut them off.  I would like white flowers, I am using Osmocote plant food, should I be using something else?

ANSWER: Hi Carole,
  It is probably not a problem with fertilizer. Most likely it is getting too much light. Peace Lilies are adapted to low to medium light levels. The spathe (the white flower) is actually a modified leaf structure instead of what we would commonly consider a flower petal. This bloom type is called an inflorescence. Because it is a type of leaf, it also absorbs sunlight and performs photosynthesis.

In low light conditions, the spathe does not absorb a whole lot of sunlight so the spathe stays white until it matures.
In bright light, however, leaf chloroplasts work harder to process light. Chloroplasts in spathes become active, too, turning as green as a regular leaf in sunlight.

Move the plant to a location out of direct sunlight and that should solve the problem.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions or need additional information please don't hesitate to ask.

QUESTION: The plant is sitting on my Liani and is not in direct sunlight.  In fact, it does not ever get direct sunlight.  Help!!!!

Hi Carole,
   Even if it is not in direct sunlight it is probably still getting too much light. Especially since you are in Florida.
Peace Lilies are low light plants. Move the plant to an interior room a few feet away from a window or perhaps just inside the room that leads out to the lanai.

One way to get a general idea of indirect light levels is to use your hand to look at the amount of shadow cast by the light. A sharp, well-defined shadow implies bright light, while a fuzzy, indeterminate shadow is moderate light. No shadow at all is heading for lower light intensity. Using this scale, you will want the Peace lily to be in the moderate to low light level.

House Plants

I am knowledgeable and experienced (professionally) in the care of many different kinds of houseplants as well as the pests and diseases common to houseplants. I have had a lot of experience and success with most propagation techniques. I am also knowledgeable and experienced with artificial lighting for plants. I can answer questions about all aspects of 'indoor gardening'. Not only questions about growing foliage plants and starting seeds under artificial plant lighting but also questions about artificial plant light system set up, supplemental artificial lighting and cost. ~ I can help identify plants accurately ONLY if you submit a picture of the plant with your question.~

I usually always have at least 70 houseplants at all times. I have done extensive research, education and have over 20 years of experience with houseplants, indoor gardening, interior landscaping and artificial plant lighting. About 30% of my houseplants are grown exclusively under artificial plant lighting. Many of the other houseplants that are growing in natural light are also given supplemental lighting using artificial plant light. I have 5 complete artificial plant light systems that I designed and built.

I have written extensively about plants, all aspects of houseplant care, indoor gardening and artificial plant lighting. I have written many informational blogs, articles and 'plant care guides' for many websites, forums and some online horticultural communities.

I have knowledge and experience on the care of houseplants, the different kinds of houseplants, pests and diseases common to houseplants, indoor gardening/landscaping and artificial plant lighting.