House Plants/what is this plant

Question
plant1
plant1  

plant pic2
plant pic2  
I have a plant that came out of a planter from a funeral and when I transplanted it I had no idea what it was and how big it would get.   It now looks like some sort of tree with clusters of pink blooms.  But I never see them open.   I will attach 2 pics.   Can u please tell me what it is?    I love it but have no idea what it is and have never seen it before.
Thanks,
Lori

Answer
Hi Lori,

Your plant is a Pittosporum tobira or more commonly called Mock Orange because the flowers have a slight orange-like scent.

The photos reveal that you have provided good care. However, it does appear to now be up against the ceiling so you will need to prune it back. Prune it back as much as you can stand but at least enough so that there is a foot or more of space below the ceiling. Make the pruning cuts anywhere along the stems. New growth will emerge slowly just below the points where you make the pruning cuts. Tip cuttings about 3-4 inches in length can be rooted in damp potting soil in small pots.

It is generally recommended to provide cool temps as low as 45 degrees F. in winter to help promote flowering. However, your success certainly argues for not making any radical changes in its care.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed