House Plants/Stephanotis Floribunda

Hello Darlene,

I have a little Stephanotis Floribunda that I'd bought a few weeks ago.  It is growing but I noticed that the node distance of the new growth is much farther vs old growth.  Old nodes when received the plant is about 1"-2" apart and the new growth is 3"-4" apart.  Aside from the leggy growth, the plant seems healthy with shiny leaves.  The plant is kept under a skylight indoor so it is receiving indirect light all day and a couple hours of direct sunlight.  Thank you very much for your time.

Kindest regards,

More sun = shorter nodes. It was previously being grown either outdoors in full sun or in a greenhouse in full sun. More sun will also equal more blooms.  You also need to be fertilizing it with a blooming plant fertilizer on a regular basis following the instructions on the fertilizer box. Just make sure it is a fertilizer for blooming plants. If you have more questions feel free to write again. Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.