House Plants/Can't Identify House Plant

House Plant
House Plant  
House Plant
House Plant  
QUESTION: My plant is growing strong, very healthy but I think I need to cut it down since there appears to be some apical dominance going on. It's already about 4 ft tall and I can't fit it on my window sill any longer. I need to know what this plant is in order to deal with all that. I lost it's tag upon buying it at a grocers last fall. Two little sprouts in a small pot that grew up pretty tall. I hope you can identify it. Thank You.

Your plant is a variegated Dracaena sanderiana, more commonly called Ribbon Plant. It is the variegated version of the popular Lucky Bamboo.

Yes, its growth habit is upwards and it does not produce branches. You can cut the stems back to any height you desire. New growth shoots will then emerge on the cut stems just below the point of the cut and will grow upward from there. Because of the apical dominance it will require regular pruning to keep its height in check.

The top cuttings can be rooted in water or inserted in the base of the existing plant so you will have more stems in the same pot. Multiple stems will provide a fuller, more compact appearance.

I have written a detailed article on pruning that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to

QUESTION: Thank you so much. I thought it was a member of Dracaena but thought the plant and leaves were much too small. You've been so helpful. I've been trying to figure it out for awhile now.

Hi Nor,

The more commonly used Dracaenas - Massangeana, Marginata and Deremensis - do have larger leaves, but some varieties like Sanderiana do have smaller leaves.

Thanks for the top ratings and nomination. Much appreciated! I will send you the information you requested via email.

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College