House Plants/dying dragon tree

I have a dragon tree with 4 stalks. 3 of them are dying, falling over. Can i cut theses stalks? Will new stalks grow with the leaves? Thank you

Yes, you need to cut those stalks off at the level where they are then firm. There is a chance that new stalks will grow if the rot that is causing the stalks to fall over does not extend into the roots. It is happening because the plant has been overwatered. It only needs watered when it has been very dry for at least 3-4 days and feels light weight when you pick it up. An hour after you water it you should empty the drain tray so it is never sitting in standing water. That will cause root rot and the problems you have. If you allow it to dry there is a good chance it will regrow. Good luck!!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.