House Plants/what are the long spikes?

Hi.  I have a house plant I "inherited" after my mom passed away a few years ago.  It's very different. The leaves are succulent, oval (generally 2 " wide, 3" medium to darn green with purplish tinge on outer edges.  

It just developed these long spikes , narrow, about 5-6 inches.  No flowers.  What the heck is this??  

I thought India rubber plant, a house plant version my mom got years ago. After she passed away a few years ago, I repotted it.  Don't do much with it, except water when bone dry.. And then I notice it sucks uop the water , and some drip from the leased!! Weird.

Any help?  Joanne

There are many succulent plants similar to what you describe. It may be in the peperomia family. I cannot give you an absolute identity on the plant unless you send me pictures. You can send them through this site or you can send them to   I can tell you the long stalks are probably young flower stalks. It can take up to a month for the flowers to develop on the stalk and frequently if the plant is not getting enough sun the flowers will never develop and the stalk will wither. If you want an identification email the pictures. Feel free to send more questions anytime. Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.