House Plants/plant problems

five noticed white fluffy spots on a plant it is sticky then turns brown then all plants next to it get it as well what chemicals can i use to cure my plants ,these white pots will kill plant if not cured soon i think their nat eggs , please let me know how to cure my plants , thanks rick,

The white stuff on your plants are insects called mealy bugs. They are hiding under the fluffy white stuff. You can spray them with straight rubbing alcohol and that will make the fluffy white stuff go away and you will see the eggs and insects under it. Enough spray will kill the insects on contact but they seem to come back. It is a good way to quickly slow them down.

You did not say what kind of plants they are. If they are plants that become trees or shrubs if grown outside the very best chemical to get rid of them is Bayer Protect and Feed Tree and Shrub Insecticide. It is take up by the plant and it will kill the insects and repel any additional insects for 12 months. It is the best insecticide I know of and works on the most insects. You follow the instructions on the bottle for potted plants and you may have to do 2 applications about 2 weeks apart to totally eradicate the insects. If you have more questions feel free to write again. Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.