House Plants/Amaryllis-many years old

Question
For many years my grandmother, and then my mother had a huge Amaryllis growing in a jardiniere, The jardiniere broke and the bulbs were divided amongst several of us, and continue to thrive and multiply.  Mine finally died, and I'm wondering if these are a special type, or if any Amaryllis bulb might keep going as this one did (and has).
Thank you for your input!

Joanne

Answer
Hi Joanne,

I'm sorry that your Amaryllis died. Good quality Amaryllis bulbs will live for a long time if they are cared for properly. In general, they must be kept potbound and in strong sunlight from January through August when they are restoring the bulb. In September through October and into November, they need to go completely dormant (no water or light). After the dormant period, normal watering can resume and about 4-6 weeks later they will flower.

As Amaryllis bulbs age, they become larger, produce offsets and also produce more flower stalks and flowers.

For whatever it's worth to you, White Flower Farm in CT has excellent quality Amaryllis bulbs and they do mail order.

I have written a detailed article on Amaryllis care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed