House Plants/Brown leaves on avocado plant

poor leaves
poor leaves  

My avocado plant seems to very unhappy. All the leaves look just like the one in the photo. For the most part, they start off (as new growth) fine and quickly turn brown.

I water no more than twice a week with distilled water...However, when I potted the plant after it sprouted, about 1/2 inch of the pitt is still showing above the dirt along with the split that had originally occurred when it first sprouted.

Hoping that you might be able to help save my friend. It is in a south facing window with a solid amount of direct sunlight. It has grown somewhat tall, with growth limited to just the top. It is just under a year old and has no lower leaves since this has been an ongoing issue. Though not as bad during the summer months, but still there.

Thanks a bunch,

Avocados grow on trees. They have no leaves low on the trunk, only at the top, that is normal. Watering it twice a week is  too often. You should insert a bamboo skewer into the soil and when you think it needs watered pull the skewer out. Only the bottom 1/3rd of the skewer should be moist. If more is moist do not water it, it is too wet. This plant needs to dry out pretty well between waterings. Too much water rots the roots and causes the damage that your picture shows. Only water when the plant is dry and it should improve. It is young and can quickly come back. If you have more question feel free to write again. Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.