House Plants/cleaning dust off plants

hi will

Is it good to clean the dust off plants by spraying with water? I have been doing this 2 times a year by putting the little ones in the sink and the larger ones in the tub. Will this cause problems with roots?  Is there plants I should not do this to?  
thank-you  Kim

Hi Kim,

It is always good to keep plant leaves relatively dust-free. Of course, some locations are more dusty than others. If the dust is visibly noticeable to you, then it is probably time to remove the dust. Spritzing with water is fine, but using a feather duster or a swiffer also work well.

If a plant is potted properly in a pot that has drainage holes and is not too large, then you never have to worry about adding too much water at one time. The key to watering is allowing the soil to dry out appropriately in between thorough waterings. For most plants this means letting the top one-quarter of the soil dry before watering. Cacti and other succulents need to dry at least halfway deep in their pots before watering. Ferns and some other plants should be watered as soon as the surface of the soil feels nearly dry.

I have written detailed articles on repotting and watering that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College